Productivity Tip: Stop Spending Time On Low Value Tasks
Why is this so important?
Because you free yourself of low-level tasks and can focus attention on only takes you can do that drastically contribute to the success of your business and your well-being.
It seems like we’d want to get stuff off our plate, but this isn’t often the case. It can be hard, if not virtually impossible. But, there’s good news. Like with any skill, it can be learned and improved upon over time. Here are a few tips for effective delegation:
Learn to Let Go
- This is the hardest and most common challenge to overcome.Sometimes we feel compelled to do everything ourselves, but this can (and will) be detrimental.
- Start small, delegating the smallest tasks, and gradually work your way up.
- Take baby steps, but know you have to progress if you want your team to be successful.
Know Your Team’s’ Strengths
- Know everyone’s strengths and weaknesses, including current and potential range of skills.
- When delegating, look at your team and assign tasks to whoever has the greatest number of relevant skills for the task. It seems obvious, but too many leaders delegate to whoever has the lightest workload.
- Be consistent. For example, delegate the same type of tasks to the same individual, which will increase that individual’s aptitude for those tasks.
Don’t Assume Everyone Knows What You Know
- Always include instructions for a task, no matter how obvious it seems to you.
- If you have a preference on how task should be created, timelines or milestone, be very clear about all of these details.
- Invest in a Project Management system to keep track of projects, deadlines, etc. This will not only help you keep a pulse on everything going on, but it will also help your team stay organized!
This just skims the surface of delegating, but we hope you found the information helpful! Of course, please don’t hesitate to contact us if we can assist you with any of your escrow needs.