Open House Safety Tips
To ensure your safety and to protect your seller’s valuables, please consider these tips next time you hold an open house or even have a showing.
- Check all the rooms and closets ahead of time – Call someone on the phone while doing this or have a buddy join you (fellow agent, lender, etc.).
- Always stay behind the visitors. Direct them; don’t lead them. All backpacks must be left up front.
- Have a discussion with the seller about removing everything of value including jewelry, electronics, prescriptions and guns. Never leave mail, bills, or bank statements where anyone can have access to them.
- Know the status of all the doors and windows – Are they locked?
- Determine several “escape” routes that you can use in case of an emergency. Make sure all deadbolt locks are unlocked to facilitate a faster escape. Make sure that if you were to escape by the back door, you could escape from the backyard.
- Inform a neighbor that you will be showing the house and ask if he or she would keep an eye and ear open for anything out of the ordinary.
- Buy a personal security app for your cell phone, and always keep your cell phone in your hands.
- Never do a private showing if you haven’t already met the client. On the first meeting of a client, always meet them at your office.